Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is this real or only a scenario of Hardy Tomas?




I’m reading the book of Hardy Tomas. It is called “The Mayor of Casterbridge”. It is the drama of an English family.


In my opinion, up to this moment the scenario is an ordinary one. But after 2 hours of reading I have changed my mind. What a drag! - The husband has sold his wife and daughter during an auction.


They have been bought by a sailor. Thus, they left for Canada with this sailor. By the way, her husband was drunk when he sold his wife and child.

Oh! Is too late; I close the book and go to bed ….


I can’t sleep. My thoughts are imbued with curiosity. I still think of her sufferings. What else to say? - Some men proved to be betrayers. While thinking, thinking and thinking ….


I feel asleep. I saw a dream, a story with a happy end like in most fairy tales related by my adorable grandma many years ago.


Morning




Tic-Tac. It’s 7 o’clock. The sun’s rays are joyfully playing right on the cover of my book.


I missed it. I don’t delay to open it up and start my exciting reading.

To my surprise, the events turned into another way. I was shocked when I found out that the sailor has been lost in the sea.


The woman’s daughter (from her first husband) died. And after 18 years this poor woman returned to her first husband. Yes, remember! The very traitor!


So, what happened with her first husband? After drunken stupor, he realized what did he do, but it was too late. He kicked drinking at all and in a few years he became the mayor of the Casterbridge and grew rich.


Believe it or not she returned to her first husband and he accepted her.


Moreover, she has convinced him that her daughter Marry-Jane is his. In fact, this girl was the sailor’s daughter. He didn’t know that his natural daughter died immediately after they have been sold to the sailor.


By the time, people from the village in which he was the mayor have heard about his deeds and lost their respect for him.


Step by step he lost his money and he became penniless. Marry-Jane got married with his rival and his son-in-low became the new mayor. The husband started to drink again. All his life was ruined after so many years of success. I am surprised by such an end.


Saturday



All Saturdays, I and my friends use to go out for a drink. As usual, we discuss about all things which happened during the whole week.


So, I’ve related about the read book and its dramatic final. One of my friends has claimed that the wife is stupid and pitiable: “How could she tolerate such life”. The other one has stated: “How could she return to him after his awful deeds?”


All my friends discuss about this book. Finally, we all drew a conclusion “It’s very important to carefully choose the budding husband. Because this is for whole life”.


What about you? What do you think about that? Do you have the same life or maybe yours is better?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doris!

You are right. The book is amazing. I couldn't stop to read it.

The main hero, husband, treated badly with his wife and daughter.

I think that he merits his future life.